Is your new luxury car a potential future classic? If you've ever visited a classic car show and seen the lovingly restored cars -- including models from defunct makes like Cord, Packard, and Pierce-Arrow -- you may well wonder if the vehicle in your garage might one day take best in show. Trying to second-guess whether your car will become a classic gets a bit complicated. Byers Imports has some guidance.
There are collector's clubs and associations across the United States and around Westerville, OH, each with their own criteria for membership. Here are some of the factors that determine a classic:
• Age: Many clubs expect that a car should be at least 30 to 40 years old. The CCCA (Classic Car Club of America), regarded as the gold standard, defines a classic as a "'fine' or 'distinctive' automobile... produced between 1915 and 1948."
• Rarity: Some cars are built in such high volume that they remain common decades later. If there's something that sets your car apart -- a model, trim level, or configuration that was produced in low volume -- it's going to be worth more later.
• Condition: This is perhaps the most important factor. Your car can be one of only two or three built, but if the engine doesn't run, the body's rusted through in places, the paint is dull, and the upholstery has been devoured by squirrels, you don't have a classic; you have scrap metal.
• Restoration: If a car or truck is restored, it should be done with OEM parts where possible, and restored as closely as possible to original specifications.
• Interest: Your sports car may not be that old, but it might help someone round out their collection if there's something unique about it.
It could also be a stock base model with very few frills that reminds someone of the first car they got when they learned to drive.
On the other hand, maybe you'd rather not second-guess whether your old car is a potential classic and would just like to get a new luxury car. If that's the case, trade in your old jalopy with Byers Imports and find the right new or pre-owned luxury car for your needs. We serve Westerville, OH from our showroom at 401 North Hamilton Road in Columbus, OH. Call 888-808-7202 or stop in for answers to your automotive questions today!